Sailing through life, wherever the winds take us

All Is Not Lost…

We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.

As crushed as we were to have to pass on Magic Feather, there was a small silver lining.

While researching the value for our offer, we found another Lancer 36, located in San Diego, with an asking price of $19500. The thought crossed our minds to go look at that boat first, before we made an offer on Magic Feather, but because we liked Toni and David so much, we decided to move forward with our offer.

But, now that we are back to square 1, we decided to revisit it, with the added bonus that we know how those boats sail.

The pictures on the listing show that the boat is in about the same condition as Magic Feather, but of course, pictures can be deceiving. We didn’t want to drive to San Diego on a whim, so instead we scheduled a video chat with the broker. Everything appeared to be accurate as to what the listing showed, so we jumped on it and made an offer. After all, we knew we liked the way they sailed, and the price was right. Offer was accepted quickly and the broker set to work scheduling everything for the survey and test sail.

Tuesday morning we set off to drive to Harbor Island West Marina. It was a nice trip, no surprises, besides finding it was a shorter trip than I was expecting. And we found the most amazing gas station I have ever seen in Jean, NV. Got there without a hitch, and camped out for the night.

The next morning we easily found the marina and met with Doug, the broker, (but not until we met and petted the “office dog”, Buddy). Our chosen surveyor, Brad Destache, was already on board, taking a thorough look.

That is where is starting going downhill.

It started small. A bulkhead would need to be re-bonded. Then the steering cables were crossed, cutting into fiberglass. And then a couple of soft spots on the deck. So far not great but nothing we couldn’t handle.

That’s when we got hit with the big one. The compression post base was eroding away. Estimated cost would be at least a couple thousand, but could be even more.

Brad told us that if we got to a point where we had see enough, we could tell him to stop, and walk away, and he would only charge us his hourly rate, rather than the per foot rate. He was only a third of the way done at the time.

We took the hint and pulled the plug.

Just goes to show the value of a good surveyor.

Since we were there, we did take a look at a couple of other boats that Doug had listed, one of which we are fairly interested in, but we will cover that more in another post.

The best result of this trip… WE FOUND A LIVEABOARD MARINA!

This has been the hardest part of our process to moving to a boat. It’s been frustrating being told over and over that there is a 2+ year wait for liveaboard status. Turns out, there is a trick.

Visit in person. 

Which is great if you already live on the coast, not as easy for us, but we were able to stop at 3 different marinas in San Diego, and all 3 said they should be able to get us in, within the next couple of months. The price point is a little higher than we were originally wanting, but it’s a glimmer of hope that we will be able to find a place that will have us. We are planning to stop at a few marinas on our way up to Canada on our road trip next week, so we might be able to find some up in the PNW, that should be a bit cheaper.

So we don’t have a boat, but we now have a place to put it. I am calling that a win.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *